Answers To Common Questions About Personal Injury Claims
Personal injury law in Oregon can be exceedingly complex. Navigating the legal system is a hurdle of its own. If you believe you have a personal injury claim, you will find trusted legal guidance at Yervasi Law P.C. in Baker City.
Read on for more information about personal injury claims.
Do I have a personal injury claim?
Negligence is at the root of almost all personal injury claims. If someone else’s carelessness (or failure to uphold a legal duty) contributed to your accident or injury, you may be entitled to compensation.
Determining negligence in cases such as traffic accidents isn’t always easy. Applying nearly 30 years of personal injury experience, lawyer Damien Yervasi can take a close look at your situation to determine whether you have a claim.
What can I obtain compensation for?
Multiple types of compensation – in legal terms, damages – might be available in your case. You could be entitled to financial recovery for out-of-pocket expenses related to the accident such as:
- Medical bills, including ongoing care and rehabilitation
- Property damage
- Lost wages from missed work
- Funeral and burial expenses in fatal injury cases
You can also pursue compensation for your pain and suffering (or that of your loved one). In some cases, you may be able to pursue additional damages – called punitive damages – in an amount intended to punish the wrongdoer and deter others from committing the same harm. Talk to attorney Yervasi about damages in your case.
What is the process for pursuing a personal injury claim?
Generally, every case begins with an investigation to collect evidence, enlist witnesses and determine liability. The next step is filing a personal injury lawsuit against the responsible parties. The court process unfolds through multiple stages, which can be lengthy. They typically include:
- Exchanging documents and conducting further investigation (called discovery)
- Preparing a case for trial through subpoenaing evidence and witnesses, conducting depositions (sworn testimony outside of court), shaping legal arguments and developing legal strategies
- Conducting settlement negotiations with the opposing parties to strive for a fair and just out-of-court resolution
- If the case proceeds to trial, presenting your case before a judge and jury (or just a judge)
In cases such as car accidents or premises liability, insurance companies will also be involved, which adds another layer of complexity. Attorney Yervasi can help you navigate both the insurance process and the court proceedings for your personal injury claim. He is a strong trial lawyer with decades of experience standing up for clients.